Saturday, January 2

"We are totally late!"

Adults and younger adults!

Sorry it took me so long to get back on the blogging horse. I've been going through a bit of a hectic phase which shall be known as the "a whole heck of a lot going on" period...and it's not that I'm doing any less now, but I've finally accepted the fact that I've just got to make some time and write some things down about what's going on. So, I apologize for not writing, and please don't yell at me any more, it makes my ears hurt.

CHINESE CHARACTER(S) OF THE FRIGGIN DAY:

大拇指

The characters mean "big", "mother", and "finger". Da mou ghe.

Guess what they mean together?

No, not that.

It's your thumb.



In any case, I am currently waiting for my good old friend Sophie Goldstein in the Taipei Train Station! She's teaching in Korea...also keeping a blog...mumble mumble http://sophieandterry.blogspot.com/ competition mumble mumble. She's visiting Taiwan for a week, staying with me for most of it. And we're going to start by going to Taroko Gorge this weekend for two and a half days or so. Lots of hiking, a half bottle of Jack Daniels, some 3-D cat cards, the last 100 pages of a Haruki Murakami novel, and a whole lotta Johnny Cash. Should be awesome times. I'll be sure and show you some pictures when I get back!

Speaking of pictures, I've got some major ones to lay on you, including a few from some rock climbing expeditions. I don't know if I'll be able to do it on the battery left in this laptop while I'm sitting here in the station, but I'll try.

The issues to discuss at present:

1. I gave a speech to a lot of government officials on Thursday at my school, to celebrate the re-opening of the place for the new semester. The governor was supposed to be there, but he wasn't. Anyway, it looks like I'm the new English speaking MC at my school, as this is the second event I

2. Ping pong continues to intensify, as does my enjoyment of it. The principal has begun smack talking me during lunch, telling me that it is "IMPOSSIBLE!" for me to win, and that my Ping pong game is "LOW CLASS!" I don't know what he's trying to accomplish. I hope that he fears me.

3. I am building an object which can only be described as too much fun to build, even if it is illegal. It is powered by hairspray and is made of PVC pipe. It's gonna be a gift. Those of you who know what I'm talking about, well...you know what I'm talking about!

4. Movies: Sherlock Holmes was cute but lacking, Avatar was ripe and beautiful but disturbing. I'd go for Avatar if you have the choice...or better yet, wait for The Road.

5. This weekend I went to Tainan, the country's old capital, to go on a bike ride with a teacher from my school. It was awesome.

6. I went to the thop of the mountain here in Kaohsiung, and it's gorgeous. Going up is like something out of an Indiana Jones movie, and the top is like...well, it's like the top of a jungle-y mountain in Taiwan with a view of the ocean. Very pretty. Anybody who comes here, guess what? You're going up the mountain.

7. I'm running a half-marathon in Tainan on Jan 31, with my friend Mitsuru! Fun times.

8. I'm having a stenciling party this week!

9. Internet in my house will be active as of Tuesday. I'm getting a 10 MB line, which means that things are literally going to be arriving before I send them. It's going to mess up my social life, but damn, I love me some ludicrous speed internet. I think that's when I'm going to upload those pictures, after all....


No comments: