Thursday, March 9

Gross national product.

So today I observed at KIPP STAR academy, which is the school that Democracy Prep Academy, the school I am helping build, will be most closely based on. It was inspiring/terrifying. The teachers are there from 6 AM to 8 PM. Think about that. It's your life. If you sleep 8 hours a night, that means you have 2 hours to yourself every day. That includes commute, work you do at home, meals you prepare. And quite often you end up coming in for half a day on Saturdays. The kids are there from 7:30 to 5, which is okay because they're only supposed to have 1 hour of homework for home a night, and their extracurriculars are mostly included in the school day. But still. Wow, what a life that would be. I think I'd like to try it, but not at this point in my life.

I'm working on getting things straightened out. I am trying to start doing 2 hours of work per night outside of how much I currently do, which if I actually keep to the schedule of it will probably make me a more responsible student. I haven't been much of that lately, and I have to get back into ass-kickin' gear. If you catch my french drift.

Things to do that have nothing to do with my education, and a lot to do with my life after college:

--Cancel my job with Soft Skull.
--Apply for a job at St. Agnes by sending resume and cover letter to principal.
--Search newspaper for teaching jobs.
--Get on a plane sunday to go to New Orleans.

I got a sleeping bag...thanks, James!

No comments: